- The Hippo is the most dangerous animal in Africa. Moody Hippos are responsible for the death of 2,900 people annually in Africa. Less than 1 person per year is killed by a shark in Florida!
- The common Hippo is the third largest animal in Africa. Elephants being the first and Rhinos come in the second place.
- Hippos will travel on land for 10km or even more in very dry seasons to find food. They usually spend five hours grazing a night (in good conditions) and boy do they love grass! They can consume an average 68 kg (150 lbs) of grass in just one night.
- Hippos can hold their breath for a maximum of 7 minutes but most surface every 3 to 5 minutes. They even do this while asleep. Wait for a few minutes and we promise you will get that perfect photo!
- Old folklore believed that Hippos sweat blood, but it is not true! It is an oily reddish substance that acts as a sunblock, moisturizer, and an antiseptic. Don’t ask to lend the Hippo’s sunblock if you forgot yours…
Written by Tersha van Staden